movies, music and everything else

This blog is about pretty much what the title implies... movies, music and everything else.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

I like movies, music and everything esle... ; ) oh... and i can't spell, so, please, no comments

Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Best of 2009 so far...

We are half way through the year as of yesterday and I thought I’d make a list of the best movies I have seen thus far. It’s been a slow start to the year for me (I’ve only seen 45 movies) but there have been some very good ones. In alphabetical order, here are the 5 best movies I’ve seen so far this year:

AWAY WE GOSome people have problems with this one, but I found it charming, heartwarming and entirely entertaining. From the opening scene, this movie had me and it never let go.

THE BROTHERS BLOOMThis is a funny, clever, stylized and extremely well made movie. The second film from Rian Johnson (BRICK) is no sign of a let down. He further defines his voice and his status as one of the most exciting filmmakers for years to come.

GOODBYE SOLOThis is a really wonderfully simple film with complex characters. The third film from director Ramin Bahrani (MAN PUSH CART and CHOP SHOP) is my personal favorite and his most engaging. With standout performances by Souleymane Sy Savane and Red West, this is a must see.

THE HURT LOCKERThis movie was just released in select cities and I highly encourage people to check it out. It is so well directed and shot that it will have you on the edge of your seat for the entire film. Jeremy Renner is fantastic as the reckless bomb tech with seemingly litter regard for his own well being. Don’t dismiss this as “another Iraq war film”. Just see it.

UPIt’s Pixar so it almost goes without saying, but yes… it’s that good. The first 10 minutes alone will bring most to tears. This is a wonderful film that will make you laugh, cry and walk out wanting a talking collar for your dog. Most have seen it, but just in case you haven’t, please do.


One of the reasons I am writing this list is to encourage people to go see the movies that are coming out that are actually good. Not all movies are filled with cheesy dialogue and big explosions. But if people don’t see the movies like the ones above, they will stop getting financed.

Here are some more that I also really liked…
ADVENTURELAND
CORALINE
DRAG ME TO HELL
THE GIRLFRIEND EXPERIENCE
SUGAR

What are your favorites so far this year???

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hey John- Not sure if you remember me but I met you at TIFF 3 or 4 years ago. I am still reading your recommendations and loving them! Keep writing and I hope you are doing well. =)

Mellissa.

7:52 AM  
Anonymous Watch Movies said...

Incredible ! I have also read lot of post wrote by John. He is experienced man . I always prefer to consider recommendations given by you. Keep it up John !

10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

free web tracker